- Poster presentation
- Open Access
Flax seed allergy in children: an emerging allergen?
© O’Keefe et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2010
- Published: 4 November 2010
- Public Health
- Allergic Reaction
- Flax Seed
- Industrial Preparation
- Seed Ingestion
Flax is a plant that is widely cultivated and has multiple uses. The seed has been increasingly used in food, and the fibers are used in textiles. Oils have also been extracted from the seed for use as a laxative and in industrial preparations. Allergic reactions to flax seed ingestion as well as linseed oil (flaxseed oil) ingestion have been described in the literature in adults (1-5), but not in children.
We report four cases of flax seed allergy in children.
Multiple food allergies?
Food containing flax seed: symptoms
Skin test to flax
granola bar: urticaria, angioedema
muffin: oral “tingling”
oral pruritus, throat clearing
bread: vomiting/urticaria (two episodes)
fruit smoothie: angioedema of lips
same fruit smoothie without flax seed before and since: no symptoms
Few cases of flax seed allergy have been described in the literature. As the use of flax seed in foods becomes more prevalent, this will likely become a more important cause of allergic reactions in the future.
- Alonso L, Navarro JA, Garces M, Carretero P: Anaphylaxis caused by linseed (flaxseed) intake. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 1996, 98 (2): 469-470. 10.1016/S0091-6749(96)70175-6.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Black WC: Flax hypersensitiveness. JAMA. 1930, 94: 1064-View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Grant LR: A report of six cases of flax seed sensitization with review of the literature. The Journal of Allergy. 1931, 3: 469-477. 10.1016/S0021-8707(32)90182-8.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Lezaun A: Anaphylaxis from linseed. Allergy. 1998, 53: 105-106. 10.1111/j.1398-9995.1998.tb03785.x.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Leon F, Rodriguez M, Cuevas M: The major allergen of linseed. Allergy. 2002, 57 (10): 968-10.1034/j.1398-9995.2002.23832_14.x.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd.